Monday, September 20, 2010

Money

The US Dollar equals about 500 Central African Francs (CFA, or just "franc" when speaking). It has been as high as 550 recently.
Here is a 2 year chart:

















I made my first visit to an ATM, and I'm still amazed that 7000 miles from home I can get cash. I felt like I won the lottery.

So how much do things cost here? That is a question that intrigues me. I'm still getting a feel for it, but here's a few examples that I remember:
$1.20 - Bottle of beer in a dive bar
$6 - entree in a restaurant with table service
$4 - Whole rotisserie chicken with french fries from a truck on the street
$.60 - 33cl coke in a returnable bottle from a roadside vendor (this describes most businesses here, by the way)
$3 - $5 - a typical taxi ride

I'll update this as I get more data.

Most beverages are served cool, though not cold. This reminds me of my visit to the Dominican Republic a couple years ago where coolers in commercial establishments proudly displayed their frigid temperature in large LED's. Not so much here.

4 comments:

  1. Mark – this is about the coolest thing on the web.
    I'm so very envious of this adventure you're having.

    Sorry I wasn't able to see you off but I'll be following your every post.

    Cheers man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prices seem high. I bet you'll find great restaurants, and street food for half the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But what kind of beer is it? Are you surviving ok without bud light? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments!

    @Jeff: I think you're right that prices are high. In fact I would say the prices of typical daily items are about the same as U.S. prices. The difference is that things are sold in smaller quantities. So it's $.40 for enough lettuce for two salads, $.20 for one tomato, $.40 for a 30cl coca-cola in a returnable bottle ($.10 for the deposit), $.10 for a .5 liter sealed plastic bag of water to drink at a parade I was at today. If you compare these prices to, say Costco, they're pretty equivalent if not a bit higher.

    @Jocelyn: Some popular brands of beer are, in order, Flag, Castel, Kronenbourg. I like them all. They're fairly light in flavor.

    ReplyDelete