Saturday, September 18, 2010

Arrival

I left Minneapolis for Mali last Tuesday morning. I was able to fit everything I wanted to bring in two checked bags and a carry-on. Surprisingly I used the greatest amount of space/weight to bring my climbing gear, which I haven't used in years. Rebecca has been climbing a couple of times around Bamako and recommended I bring gear.

My overnight trip to Paris included about 30 minutes of sleep and a 5:30 a.m. arrival followed by a 4:30 p.m. Paris-Bamako flight. So I checked my carry-on at the airport and took the train to the city. It was an easy trip to Gare du Nord. The trip to the Eiffel Tower was slightly more difficult. Going against the advice of the tourist information desk I walked the 4 miles or so -- each way. By the time I got back to the airport I was exhausted. But I did get a brief and enjoyable Paris experience including the Eiffel Tower, Pain au Chocolat, coffee, beer, and more.

I arrived in Mali at 8:00 p.m. that day and after a two hour wait for my bags ("work slow-down") I was greeted by Rebecca and Randy who she works with and kindly offered to drive to pick me up. We drove straight to our place in West Badalabougou near the Pont du Roi Fahd (bridge). Central Bamako is just over the bridge.

I like it here, I've been very busy, the people are kind, nobody really speaks much English except foreigners like me, I need to work on my French, the food has been pretty good, our place is nice. There is a big 50th anniversary of independence celebration tonight featuring speeches (I'm told), and music. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment